Like any pet you may have protecting your pet from illness is very important and for birds it is no exception. Would you even begin to recognize if your bird is ill? Would you be able to recoginze the signs if your bird is ill? Here is just a few things to look for.
1. Good hygiene – regularly clean the bird cage and the appliances in it. The cleaning must be accomplished minimum twice a week . Check the color of your birds droppings. you should watch out for droppings that are yellow, rusty brown, or tarry black. This could indicate internal bleeding or other serious problems. Also check for consistency – too runny or too firm.
2. We mustn’t let our birds have contacts with wild or free – living birds, who are the main carriers of diseases and infections .
3. Do not put the bird cage exposed to draughts – the birds can catch a cold , and they should be exposed to the sun no more than 1 – 2 hours , because they can get overheated and can suffer from hypothermia .
4. If you have other pet animals – a dog , a cat, first get sure that they are not aggressive towards the birds and only then you can leave them in the same room together.
5. Examine the bird cage for protruding parts and objects that can hurt the birds .
6. A very important factor for the good health of the birds is the proper and balanced feeding . Except for grain mixture, they should get enough quantity of fruit and vegetables, from which they will supply themselves with necessary vitamins .
Also, with great importance for the health of birds is the proper supply with minerals . You can buy them from the zoo or a good pet supply store in combined forms.
Watch out for:
Ruffled Feathers – sitting for too long with feathers fluffed out can show signs of respiratory problem or other disorders, it can also hide weight loss.
Red, Inflamed or Runny Cere – a cere is what we think of as the birds ‘nose’ – this could show that your bird may be seriously ill.
Cloudy Eyes – if they are cloudy or have a discharge, this could indicate a respiratory, nervous or muscular disorder.
Reduced Appetite – birds need to eat a lot of nutritious food every day as the have very high metabolisms. If they are losing weight they may have an intestinal blockage or is impacted — the best way to address this is to make sure its cage is cleaned every day before feeding.
8. It is also necessary that your birds get small stones and sand in a separate container , which contributes to the good digestion and food – assimilation.
9. Overfeeding the birds with proteins of animal origin is very dangerous for them and it can cause podagra and lead to abnormal appetite .